Thursday, June 08, 2006

Wikipedia Adventures: Masturbation

While reading about the SSRI antidepressant I take, Citalopram Hydrobromide on Wikipedia I was taken on an interesting tangent (as is common when reading articles to follow a daisy chain of links) to an article on Anorgasmia (of which I suffer as a side-effect of my medication) that lead me to an article on Masturbation in which I found something that made me giggle, and I quote;

In 1994, when the first African-American female Surgeon General of the United States, Dr. Joycelyn Elders, mentioned as an aside that perhaps it ought to be mentioned in school curricula that masturbation was safe and healthy, she was forced to resign, with opponents asserting that she was promoting the teaching of how to masturbate. Many believe this was the result of her long history of promoting controversial viewpoints and not due solely to her public mention of masturbation. Her case led to the coining of a new and humorous slang term for masturbation: Firing the surgeon general.

Also, interestingly related to the article is a List of Songs About Masturbation.

No comments: